Engaging Junior/Intermediate students in pre-show activities, provides the teacher with information regarding students’ prior knowledge. The teacher can develops themes from the play and can prepare their class to be a more focused and engaged audience.
PRE-SHOW ACTIVITY – Questions about Live Theatre
What do students know about live theatre and have they experienced theatre before?
1. What is a play? What should you expect to see and hear when viewing a play?
2. How does an audience behave when seeing a play? How is it different than going to a movie?
3. Who are the actors? What are their roles or jobs in a play?
4. What is a director? What is a stage manager?
5. What is an audience? What is its role in a play?
6. What is the set? What purpose does it serve?